Be The Talk Of The Party With These 5 Clever Hosting Hacks
It’s the worst feeling when you have something perfectly usable, but it’s taking up too much space or you don’t need it for what you originally planned. Or sometimes you finally make that cool DIY craft you saw online, just to realize you really don’t have a place for it. Maybe you have buyer’s remorse for something you snagged at the thrift store. Whatever the case may be, hope is not lost.
In this day and age, it’s totally possible to repurpose household items and make money off of it. Any social network practically works as an online store. Post a picture of something you don’t want or need, ask if anyone wants to buy it, and go from there. Craigslist can be too risky sometimes, but the app letgo is the perfect alternative. There, you can post photos and prices for the cool things you upgrade but have no use for. You can also buy the pieces for other DIY projects you set your mind to — just don’t throw out that perfectly good table. We have the best ways to turn an ordinary piece of furniture into something everyone will want to buy from you, and some good ideas for those random pieces you buy from other people.
We had so much fun working with letgo! Now we’re ready to get the party started.
Turn that old bookshelf into a mobile bar cart
Materials and tools:
- 4-square organizing shelf
- power drill
- wall hooks with screws
- cooling rack
- bolt cutter
- towel bar with brackets and screws
- 4 caster wheels with screws
- 3 magazine holders
- wood glue
- Mark the holes for each wall hook you have on the shelf. Drill four holes (two in front and two in back) inside the shelf. Drill the screw into each wall hook and secure them to the shelf.
- Use a bolt cutter to cut out 3 sections of the cooling rack. This will be the floating wine glass rack.
- On the outside of the shelf, install the towel bar. Measure out the distance for each bracket. Use the power drill to secure each bracket and then snap on the towel bar.
- Flip the shelf on its back. On the base of the shelf, measure out and drill in 4 caster wheels.
- In a new part of the shelf, glue down 3 magazine holders.
Make your own chalkboard paint for a cheeseboard
- ½ cup acrylic paint
- ½ tbsp dry grout
- Photo frame (with the glass still intact)
- foam paintbrush
- industrial strength glue
- two drawer handles
- In a bowl, mix together ½ cup acrylic paint and ½ tbsp dry grout.
- Use a foam paintbrush to paint the chalkboard paint on the glass of the photo frame.
- Let the paint dry before writing with chalk.
- Dab two dots of industrial strength glue on each end of the handles and secure them to the border of the photo frame.
Enjoy s’mores at the dinner table
- metal planter box
- fire glass
- canned heat (2 cans)
- a lighter
- Lay down a layer of fire glass in the bottom of the metal planter box.
- Place the 2 cans of canned heat in the glass. Fill in the remaining spaces with more fire glass.
- Pry open the lids of the canned heat.
- When ready for use, use a lighter to start the canned heat.
Suspend your own floral chandelier over the dinner table
- plastic hula hoop
- hot glue gun
- fake flowers
- Use the heated tip of a hot glue gun to pierce holes in the plastic hula hoop.
- Insert stems of fake flowers and other foliage into the hula hoop.
- Tie 3 pieces of rope around the hula hoop. Bring the ends together and suspend from a hook in the ceiling.
Feeling inspired to transform some old pieces of furniture you have lying around? Don’t just put it on the curb, get some money for your work by selling it on the letgo app!