Give Your Wardrobe New Life This Summer With These 6 Fashion Hacks
As the ever-changing world of fast fashion has continued to have a detrimental impact on our environment, thrifting for new wardrobe additions has become an easy and increasingly popular solution, helping people to reduce their carbon footprint and ease a guilty conscience at the same time.
Going to thrift stores can be a very daunting and exhausting trip, and of course you can rarely find the exact piece you’re looking for. Then you end up leaving frustrated and empty-handed. That’s where letgo comes in. You probably already know you can use this app for buying and selling things like furniture and appliances, but it’s also your ticket to finding clothes and accessories right in your neighborhood.
Thrifting clothing has never been easier. But maybe you’re still looking to change up that new crop top you got off of letgo. Black beans, onion skins, red cabbage, and baking soda are all excellent ingredients to use as natural dyes that won’t be harmful to the environment. And what’s even better is you probably have all of those ingredients in your kitchen right now, so you know they’re safe to use.
We teamed up with letgo to share some fun and creative ways to help you change up your wardrobe without having to buy new clothing and spend a ridiculous amount of money. Check out our hacks below and feel free to give them a try at home!
Create A Mint Dye From A Red Cabbage
- Half of a red cabbage
- White cotton t-shirt
- Baking soda
- Large boiling pot
- Tongs for stirring
- Chop up red cabbage into 1-2 inch strips, set aside.
- Fill up large pot with water.
- Add a white cotton t-shirt to the water.
- Add chopped up red cabbage to the pot on top of the shirt to weigh it down in the water.
- Add a generous amount of baking soda to the water.
- Bring ingredients to a soft boil for 30-40 minutes or until desired mint color is achieved.
- Dye method can be used to create mint colored shoes, shorts and many more!
Wrap A Cardigan Into A Chic Off-The-Shoulder Top
- Blue long sleeve cardigan made out of stretchy material
- Put a cardigan on backward with the opening in the back.
- Bring the bottom corners together and tie in the back, and also in the front to the side.
- Reach up to slide the shoulders down to an create off-the-shoulder chic look.
- Dress it up with slacks & statement earrings for the perfect outfit for any occasion!
Create A Blue Dye Using Black Beans
- White cotton t-shirt
- 4 cups of dried black beans
- Large bowl
- Place a white cotton t-shirt in a large empty bowl.
- Pour in dried black beans on top of the t-shirt.
- Carefully add in water until beans and t-shirt are completely submerged.
- Soak beans and the shirt in water for 24 hours.
- Remove the t-shirt to reveal beautiful blue-dyed color.
- This method can be used to dye a cotton scarf, lace cover up, and many more!
Upgrading Your New Maxi Skirt
- Flowy Maxi Skirt with elastic waistband
- Waist belt
- While wearing a Maxi Skirt, slide the waistband to just below the armpits to create a strapless dress.
- Bring in the waist belt and secure around the waist.
- Carefully bring up the hem of the front of the skirt and evenly tuck underneath the belt to create a glamorous high-low dress.
- Accessorize with heels, earrings, and a purse for the perfect look for any occasion!
Palazzo Pants Into A Unique Dress
- Stretchy Palazzo Pants
- Step both legs into one leg of the pants, carefully pull up like a body-con dress.
- Fold the waistband under to hide the seam.
- Grab the top of the other leg of the pant and carefully pull up over the shoulder to create a one-shoulder dress.
- Glam it up with some cute jewelry and heels for the perfect night out dress!
Create A Bright Yellow Dye Using Onions
- 20-30 yellow onions
- Large boiling pot
- White cotton dress
- Tongs for removal
- Separate brown skin from yellow onions, set aside.
- Place a white cotton dress in a large pot
- Carefully add water until the dress is completely submerged.
- Add onion skins and make sure they are completely submerged as well.
- Bring to a soft boil for 30-40 minutes and see the tannins in the onion skin produce a beautiful yellow dye.
- Remove dress using tongs to reveal yellow-dyed dress.
- Accessorize with cute shoes and jewelry for the perfect summer outfit!