Party Hacks That Were Mer-MADE Under The Sea!
If you have a little one who loves all things “under the sea”, than these mermaid-inspired party decorations are the perfect way to take your kid’s next birthday bash over the top! You can find all the Barbie mermaid party supplies you need to create these dazzling-DIY decorations at Party City.
The Mason Jar Plate Dessert Stand and the Fish Scale Backdrop are easy ways to elevate any kid’s party. Use the pantyhose hack to create an unforgettable party look for your little sea creature. You can apply realistic looking scales by simply using a pair of fishnet pantyhose and different colored eyeshadows.
Lemon Squeezer Seashell Cookies
- Lemon Squeezer
- Sugar Cookie Dough
- Roll cookie dough into 1 inch balls.
- Using one hand to hold lemon squeezer in place, firmly press dough ball against side of
lemon squeezer to create “shell” design.
- Bake and decorate your gorgeous seashell cookies!
Pool Noodle Coral Reef
- Pool Noodle
- Box Cutter
- Mark top of pool noodle three times equal distance from each other.
- With Box cutter, cut in a spiral motion down to desired length.
- Repeat twice.
- Separate the leaves you have created and round the edges.
Mason Jar Plate Dessert Stand
- 4 jars
- Assorted shells
- Aquarium foliage
- Toy sea creatures
- Blue food coloring
- 3 plates (small, medium, large)
- In a jar, arrange shells, foliage, and fish toy as desired.
- Fill jar with water and 5 drops of blue food coloring.
- Screw on lids.
- Lay down largest plate and stack 3 jars on top.
- Add medium plate a top of jars.
- Continue to stack plates and jars until you have 3 levels (large, medium, small).
- Arrange desserts as desired.
Mermaid Scale Makeup
- Pink, purple, and turquoise eyeshadow
- Blush brush
- Fishnet pantyhose
- Begin by placing fishnet pantyhose over your face.
- Using makeup brush, tap pink, then purple, then turquoise eyeshadow on temples,
forehead and cheekbones to create a gradient effect.
- Carefully lift fishnet up to reveal your beautiful mermaid scale makeup!
Fish Scale Backdrop
- 11 dark purple paper plates
- 11 light purple paper plates
- 11 light blue paper plates
- 11 teal paper plates
- Double sided tape
- Arrange 5 dark purple plates in a row and attach to wall with double sided tape.
- Below first row, stagger a row of 6 more dark purple plates slightly
layering/overlapping the first row and attach with double sided tape.
- Repeat with remainder of all colors until you have a beautiful backdrop!
- 2 boxes of white cake mix
- Ground graham crackers
- White butter cream
- Blue icing color
- Prepare 3 round cakes and stack them filling each layer with butter cream.
- Ice cake with buttercream.
- Use ground graham crackers to cover half of the cake.
- Use spoon with blue icing color to create waves on the other half of cake.
- Embellish cake as desired with fondant sea themed decorations.
Under the Sea Ceiling
- Blue plastic tablecloth
- Black paper cutouts (sea animals)
- Double sided tape
- Roll out blue plastic tablecloth on floor so you have plenty of space.
- Place double sided tape on one side of the black paper cutouts and arrange as desired on the rolled out tablecloth.
- Attach completed “Under the Sea” ceiling under a light source such as string lights to create sea animal
silhouette effect and enjoy!