Party Hacks That Were Mer-MADE Under The Sea
With every kid’s birthday party brings the daunting task of planning. Will there be a theme? What decorations do you get? Do you make goodie bags this year? How many stores will you need to make trips to? If your child loves all things under the sea and mermaids, you’ll only need to make a single trip to Party City for all of your party-planning needs.
We partnered with Mattel and threw the ultimate mermaid-themed party. From aquarium dessert stands to pool noodle coral reefs, Party City is your one-stop-shop for mermaid Barbie® party decorations and supplies. The new Rainbow Lights Mermaid™ Doll from Barbie® will make for the perfect addition to any goodie bag. Check out our seven party hacks below so you can be the hostess with the mostest for your child’s birthday party.
Mason Jar Dessert Stand
- 4 mason jars
- Assorted seashells
- Aquarium foliage
- Toy sea creatures
- Blue food coloring
- 3 ceramic plates (small, medium, and large)
- In a mason jar, arrange seashells, aquarium foliage, and fish toy as desired.
- Fill the jars with water and 5 drops of blue food coloring. Screw on lids.
- Lay down the largest plate first and stack 3 jars on top. Add the medium plate next and stack 1 mason jar on it.
- Add the last small plate to the stack. Arrange the desserts as desired.
Lemon Squeezer Seashell Cookies
- Sugar cookie dough
- Lemon squeezer
- Roll the cookie dough into 1 inch balls.
- Using one hand to hold the lemon squeezer in place, firmly press the cookie dough ball against the side of the lemon squeezer to create a “shell” design.
- Bake and decorate your gorgeous seashell cookies!
Fish Scale Backdrop
- 11 dark purple paper plates
- 11 light purple paper plates
- 11 light blue paper plates
- 11 teal paper plates
- Double-sided tape
- Arrange 5 dark purple plates in a row and attach to the wall with double-sided tape.
- Below the first row, stagger a row of 6 more dark purple plates slightly layering/overlapping the first row and attach with double-sided tape.
- Repeat with the remainder of all colors until you have a beautiful backdrop!
DIY Seaweed Reef
- Pool noodle
- Box cutter
- Mark the top of the pool noodle three times, with each mark being equidistant from each other.
- With the box cutter, cut in a spiral motion down to the desired length. Repeat twice.
- Separate the leaves you have created and round the edges with the box cutter.
Pull-Apart Mermaid Tail Cake
- 25 chocolate cupcakes
- Turquoise, white, and purple buttercream frosting
- 3 piping bags
- 3 round tip nozzles (for creating frosting scales)
- 10 chocolate pearls (optional for garnish)
- Frosting spatula
- Start by arranging cupcakes in the shape of a mermaid tail.
- Let’s start with decorating the fins at the bottom.
- Using the turquoise frosting, pipe the fins with a round tip nozzle. Pipe continuously outlining the edges first and working your way towards the center.
- Smooth out using frosting spatula and then use the fork to create lines design.
- Create the scales on the body of the cake by creating a chocolate kiss shape, then dragging up to create the scale shape.
- Continue with alternating colors until cake is covered. Leave a few inches at the top for the “waistband.”
- Using white buttercream, create the waistband shape and smooth out with a frosting spatula.
- Finish by garnishing with chocolate pearls, and admire your beautiful mermaid tail cake!
Under the Sea Ceiling
- Blue plastic tablecloth
- Black paper cutouts (sea animals)
- Double-sided tape
- Roll out a blue plastic tablecloth on the floor so you have plenty of space.
- Place double-sided tape on one side of the black paper cutouts and arrange as desired on the rolled out tablecloth.
- Attach completed “Under the Sea” ceiling under a light source such as string lights to create sea animal silhouette effect.
Mermaid Scale Makeup
- Pink, purple, and turquoise eyeshadow
- Blush brush
- Fishnet pantyhose
- Begin by placing fishnet pantyhose over your face
- Using a makeup brush, tap pink, then purple, then turquoise eyeshadow on temples, forehead and cheekbones to create a gradient effect.
- Carefully lift fishnet up to reveal your beautiful mermaid scale makeup!