This Mom’s Warning Went Viral After Her 3-Year-Old Daughter Got Stuck In A Washing Machine

July 18, 2018

It’s a strange thing, but young children seem to be drawn to the most unsafe appliances and products in your home. Even when you think everything’s been baby-proofed, it’s always important to keep a watchful eye. A Colorado mom named Lindsey McIver shared proof that even washing machines can be unsafe if left unattended. The good news is that her scary story has a happy ending.

McIver recently purchased a front-loading washing machine, which is a popular selection for new homeowners. Even though there have been reported risks with these machines before, McIver didn’t realize how deadly they could be. She told her children, including her 4-year-old son and 3-year-old daughter named Kloe, not to touch the new appliance. She feared they might get stuck in it, which is scary in itself. What happened was a lot worse.

According to Good Housekeeping, McIver woke to hear her son crying loudly. When they tried to figure out what happened, they learned that young Kloe was stuck in the machine and that the machine was on. McIver had no clue that her children knew how to operate the washer, and by the time they got to Kloe, the washing machine was filling up with water.

It was a terrifying scene. So terrifying that McIver wasn’t even sure she should share the washing machine warning, based on others possibly thinking she was being careless.

The full Facebook warning can be found here.

Luckily, they were able to free Kloe in time, and the young girl only suffered a few bumps and bruises. But who knows what might have happened if her son was too scared to tell them Kloe was stuck inside.

“I post this because I can honestly say we did not realize the danger of this machine,” McIver said. “We are continually surprised at the new, inventive ways our kids come up with to try and die. And this was definitely a new one.”

Not only did McIver want to warn other moms about the dangers of front-loading washing machines, but she also wanted to promote the fact that summer is the time many scary accidents occur. “This is the season for swimming pool accidents and kids being left in hot cars and all sorts of other horrible accidents. And that’s what most of them are. Accidents. Shaming the mom doesn’t do anyone any good,” she wrote. “We need to be open and honest about our mistakes to help one another keep our kids safe. And trust me, that mom is already beating herself up enough.”

Next time you’re in the market for a new washing machine, make sure you know how to use the child safety features. It could honestly save a life.